Vehicle headlights have certainly improved in the past decade, with Bi-Xenon and LED becoming the norm rather than just an option. That’s great for safety because those headlights not only illuminate the road better, but they don’t blind other drivers as much, thanks to the focused light. Paying the extra money for better headlights certainly has its merits, but what about keeping them fresh and powerful in the future?
Headlights tend to lose their sharpness due to coloration and clouding of the front glass element. This happens due to excessive abrasion from pollutants and debris in the air, that constantly bombard the headlights. Luckily, you can restore your headlights with a restoration kit. The best headlight restoration kit will make the headlights on your vehicle shiny again. The most important thing is that they will not only look better, but they will also shine brighter.
But which restoration kit is the best? With so many options out there, it is really hard to pick one that will do the best job of restoring your headlights. That’s why we’ve created a Top 5 list of the best headlight restoration kits available on the market right now. Choose a headlight restoration kit from this list, and your headlights will look like they have just been delivered from the assembly line.
Top 5 Best Headlight Restoration Kits
• 3M Brand 39008 Headlight Lens Restoration System . This headlight restoration kit is the most popular on the market right now for a simple reason: it really does a great job! 3M Brand 39008 has everything you need in one package, so no additional costs. It comes with sanding discs, polishing compound, and polishing pad, but you will still need a household drill (1200-1600 rpm) in order to get the best possible outcome. It can be used on headlights, taillights, and directional lights with equally good results. Using it is very easy – just be sure that you covered the metal that is surrounding the headlight with a tape (sadly it doesn’t come in the package) and you’re good to go. The price of the 3M Brand 39008 headlight restoration kit is also very respectable for the quality you get – their proprietary 3M abrasive technology is class-leading at this moment and really restores all lights on your vehicle to their original state.
• Turtle Wax T-240KT Headlight Restorer Kit Turtle Wax is a well-known company in the automotive community. Their car-care products offer excellent results at a lower price than usual. The T-240KT Headlight Restorer Kit is a great example of that. It is cheaper than most premium options on the market, yet it still makes a great job of cleaning and restoring your headlights to their original shape. The package comes with three restoration pads of various grits from 2400 to 8000 grit, Spray Lubricant, Lens Clarifying Compound, and Lens Sealing Wipe. As with the 3M 39008, this headlight restoration kit can also be used on any plastic surface on your vehicle, as well as lenses and Plexiglas. When combined, they will not only make your headlights clearer but also remove any discoloration and protect it from further damage.
• Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit Sylvania is a brand that’s also known for producing headlight bulbs, which automatically makes them a great choice for headlight restoration kit. Not just that – it really works as advertised, giving the headlights on your vehicle a shiny new finish. That said, the price is higher than what other companies offer, and that’s why it sits on the third place on this list. The package contains a proprietary surface activator that softens the plastic, sanding discs and polishing compound, and sealing compound called UV Block Clear Coat. For us, the most interesting is the sealing compound, which does an amazing job of protecting the headlights from further damage, especially from UV light, which tends to discolor the lens. This probably comes as expected from a premium product.
• Mothers NuLens Headlight Renewal Kit Mothers are another popular car-care company that produces excellent products, albeit at a higher price point than what the others offer. That said, the quality of their products is almost always outstanding, like this one. It works wonders on the headlights and taillights of your vehicle, restoring them like almost no other headlight restoration kit out there. NuLens cleans away stains, hairline scratches, smudges and flaws in a single step, and it also restores yellow lenses to their transparent past self. Mothers NuLens Headlight Renewal Kit comes with PowerPlastic 4Lights polish that restores crystal clarity, but also leaving a tough protective, oxidation inhibiting polymer layer that guards against further degradation. The package also includes 3-inch backing plate, PowerBall 4Lights polishing tool, restoration discs and polish. For best results, use a household drill.
• Meguiar’s Headlight and Clear Plastic Restoration Kit . The most expensive kit on this list, but also one of the best on the market, Meguiar’s Headlight and Clear Plastic restoration Kit may be the only thing you need for clean and shiny headlights. This product restores the headlight to its “like-new” clarity to cloudy, scratched and oxidized surfaces, and it can also restore the natural color of the lens. The kit includes almost everything you need to do the job – a bottle of Plast-X Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish, Easy Buff wool pad and Stubborn Defect Removal Pack finishing pads. The only additional thing you need is a household drill. Meguiar’s headlight restoration kit works on headlights, taillights, boat windows, motorcycle windscreens, and other uncoated plastic surfaces.
Restoring your headlights is easier than ever – you just need the best headlight restoration kit and 1-2 hours of your time. Just be sure that you protect the metal surfaces surrounding the headlight and then follow the instructions on the pack.